Smoked Tomato Soup
Nothing says comfort food like a warm bowl of tomato soup on a cold winter night. Try our Smoked Tomato Soup to take the standard to the next level. Great served with a Smoked Gouda & Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Write a review
- 15 ripe Plum Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Pork Barrel BBQ All-American Spice Rub
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups Red Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup Basil, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Slice tomatoes in half and brush with half the olive oil and season with half of the Pork Barrel BBQ All-American Spice Rub. Grill tomatoes over a charcoal fire with hickory chips for 7 minutes.
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat the remaining olive oil and butter over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, thyme and season with the remaining Pork Barrel BBQ All-American Spice Rub. Sauté until the onions and garlic are softened and becoming translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with 2 cups of chicken stock and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour the onion and garlic mixture into a food processor and add the smoked tomatoes and process until smooth. Pour the mixture back into the Dutch oven and add the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock and bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir the cream into the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. Divide the soup into bowls and sprinkle with basil.
Pork Barrel BBQ Sauce | Barbeque Sauce and Dry Rubs http://porkbarrelbbq.com/