Grilled Italian Pork Sandwiches
The Italian pork sandwich may be overshadowed by its sibling sandwich, the cheesesteak, but it’s no less a Philadelphia classic. Give the cheesesteak a run for its money by grilling the pork to add a smoky flavor with deliciously crispy crunch from the bark of the meat. This is one sandwich we are sure Rocky would consider a knockout!
Write a review
3 hr 30 min
3 hr 30 min
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic, minced & divided
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 7 Tablespoons. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (2 ½ - 3 pound) boneless Pork Loin
- 1 bunch Broccoli Rabe
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed Red Pepper
- 12 slices Smoked Provolone Cheese
- 6 Sandwich Rolls
- Stir together 1 ½ Tbsp. garlic, rosemary, 3 Tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Place pork in a baking dish and rub with garlic marinade. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Remove pork from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 45 minutes. Meanwhile preheat one side of grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) to create direct and indirect grilling zones. Place pork over the lit (direct zone) side of the grill and grill with the grill lid on for 4 minutes. Remove lid and flip the pork and grill on the other side for 4 minutes with the grill lid on.
- Transfer the pork to the unlit (indirect zone) side of the grill and cook with the lid on the grill for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the pork reads 145°. Remove pork from the grill, and let stand 5 minutes covered with aluminum foil before slicing.
- Remove florets from broccoli rabe. Trim and discard ½ inch of the stem from the bottom of the broccoli rabe Cook leaves and stems in boiling water for 2 minutes then add the florets and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli rabe, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water, and plunge broccoli rabe into an ice-water bath. Heat remaining 4 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the remaining garlic and red pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe and sauté for 5 minutes. Add reserved ½ cup cooking water and cook for 2 more minutes.
- To serve arrange 2 slices of smoked provolone on the bottom of the sandwich rolls, top with pork and broccoli rabe.
- 6 Sandwiches
Pork Barrel BBQ Sauce | Barbeque Sauce and Dry Rubs http://porkbarrelbbq.com/